Workflow Automation is the process of modelling any real-world process and digitizing it. Using digital platform solutions, an organization can build customized and automated workflows; all integrated into a digital ecosystem. Paper-based processes are transformed into their digital equivalent, producing a ‘smarter’ and more agile workforce. An automated workflow enables management to channel their energies to growing the business and boosting revenue streams as opposed to being worried about daily operations and job progress.
There are several benefits of workflow automation, including:
- More communication and collaboration: Workflow automation digitizes communication and enables real-time communication between stakeholders for quick and collective problem-solving. Each stakeholder can easily mark their task as complete and automatically pass it onto the next stakeholder, who is immediately notified of their task assignment via email/text alerts.
- Improved quality of work: Paper and spreadsheets are an ‘error magnet’ because of the boring, tedious, and sleep-inducing nature of manually inputting data. Workflow automation significantly reduces the likelihood of these errors. Employees can work faster and managers can have greater flexibility to build and customize digital forms, SOPs, and guides.
- Better decision making: An automated workflow produces rich insights by unifying data from various business systems. This allows managers to make accurate and timely decisions which may have previously been confined to gut feelings. Moreover, real-time data enables managers to better adjust the human, material, and machine resources for project success.
- Safer workplace: Managers can generate safety guidelines and swiftly share these digital guides across the shop floor with the click of a button. The consequence will be a safer workplace where everyone is up-to-date on safety requirements. Also, employee data can be aggregated and used to track completion of necessary certifications.
- Increased efficiency, productivity, and revenue: Bottlenecks can be rapidly resolved with automated workflows – as soon as an issue is identified, a report can be submitted from the field, and managers can assign corrective tasks to the right team and guide them through close. Hence, reducing delays during high-stake events and improving overall performance.
- Employee job satisfaction: Workflow automation makes life easier for employees by eliminating monotonous work and unnecessary back and forth. New workers can effortlessly on-board and older workers don’t have to spend huge chunks of time waiting in line as they can easily enter e-signatures on forms and ask questions/ send feedback to management.